ACA Swiftwater Rescue Clinic
Colorado Whitewater has partnered with Whitewater Attainment for ACA Swiftwater Rescue Clinics for only $175 this year which is over 25% off of list price! This clinic is for all Colorado Whitewater members who are kayakers, canoeists, rafters, duckie captains or just like splashing around in the river.
Somewhere, at sometime, you will wish you knew what to do in a river emergency. Just rescuing gear can turn into a nightmare, never mind rescuing a person. Quick response time and the knowledge to set up a rescue safely are skills you should have as a boater. Make this the year to bring your rescue skills to a higher level. Friends owe it to friends to be capable of river rescue. Kayakers must be of Class II-III ability. Rescue lifejackets are considered personal equipment and are highly recommended. This clinic qualifies as an ACA sanctioned course.
Accident Avoidance & Proactive Rescue
Rescue Basics & Scene Management
Hazards & Hydrology
Throw bag use
Swimming & Wading
Unconscious Swimmer Rescue
Boat Based Rescues
Pins, Gear Retrieval & Mechanical Advantage Systems
Debrief on rescues
Note: This clinic will be customized based on river features, water levels and students needs and skills.
Recommended Gear List
Class participants should bring as much of this gear as they can)
- Due to cold water temperatures and amount of time participants will spend in the water, a drysuit is mandatory for this course. Those who do not own a drysuit can rent one at CKS Mainstreet in Buena Vista.
- River Rescue Book (book of your choice)
- Kayak, Canoe, Raft or any other type of river water craft
- Knife (one hand accessible)
- Carabiners (4 or more)
- Prussic Loop (3 or more)
- Webbing (about 8')
- Drybag to put rescue items in
- PFD (Lifejacket) with rescue belt
- Tow Tether for Lifejackets with rescue belts
- Throw Bag
- Pulley (at least 2)
- Warm clothing
- Energy Food
- First Aid Kit (contents based on paddlers training and remoteness of trip)
- Duct Tape
- Waterproof light
- Gibbs Ascender (climbing ascender)
- Rapid Air (compress air in cylinder for trapped boater)
- Saw or wood cutting device
- Z-Drag Crib card
- Cell Phone
- Signal mirror
- Pocket Knife
- Multi-plier tool
- Bee Kit
- Static Rope
Class will held somewhere on the Arkansas River. Location will be firmed up at the latest 1 week before class.
Questions about this class should be directed to Pete Bellande.